Cardsinner Poker
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Powered by WebRing®.

Post-Flop Play

3 posters

Go down

Post-Flop Play Empty Post-Flop Play

Post  Mrs. Sinner Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:42 pm

Post-flop play stems from 3 basic scenarios that are a result of the pre-flop action. Those scenarios are:

* No action - This scenario is a result of everyone at the table folding to the pre-flop raiser or re-raiser, or of everyone folding to the Big Blind.
* Heads up action - When only 2 players see the flop, the resulting action will be heads up.
* Multi-way action - When 3 or more players see the flop, this results in multi-way post flop action, or a "multi-way pot."

No action - Nothing much to explore here. No post-flop action is the result of pre-flop play where all but one player folds. In this case, no flop is dealt, and therefor there is no post-flop action. Congratulations, you just saved some chips!

Heads up action - When there is post-flop action, this type of action is the preferred scenario of any professional or serious poker player. Heads up action is simply easier to play. Bluffs and semi-bluffs are successful a higher percentage of the time than in multi-way pots. It is easier to get a read on your opponent's hand strength. Often in heads up action, pots can be won with low to middle pairs or even high-card hands.
The keys to successful post-flop play include position and aggression. Successful post-flop play will depend largely in part on your pre-flop choices. You will win more pots playing from position than you will out of position. You will win more pots when you are the aggressor (the bettor or raiser) than you will by checking and calling. Therefor, one of the most effective improvements you can make to your post-flop play may be an adjustment to your pre-flop stratgey. Open with aggressive raises from superior position to improve your post-flop winning percentage. By coming out aggressively pre-flop and playing from position, a multitude of different ways that you can win the pot will open up to you.
The most important tool you will have at your disposal will be the continuation bet. This is when a player raises pre-flop, and then fires another bet into the pot after the flop, whether or not the flop improved the raiser's hand. When you enter into a heads up pot with a preflop raise, you should follow through with a continuation bet 75%-90% of the time, regardless of what flopped. Your opponent will completely miss the flop roughly 70% of the time, and your continuation bet will win you the pot the in most cases.
Another tool that a pre-flop raise from postion will give you is the semi-bluff. This is when you flop a draw, such as a straight or flush draw, and bet or even raise as though you have a made hand. If you get called and then hit on the turn, you are likely to get paid off in a big way! Even if you miss on the turn, you'll still have a free shot at the draw most of the time. Your opponent usually will not bet on the turn because either (a) he will be afraid of facing another big raise, or (b) will have the best hand, and will be anticipating (and probably hoping for) another bet from you on the turn. Take advantage of this oppotunity to see a free river by checking the turn if it's a blank.
You can also utilize "feeler bets," which are bets or raises to determine the strength of your opponent's hand or the strength of your hand in relation to theirs. While you are spending some chips in this situation, try to avoid thinking to much about your "lost chips" when facing an opponent who is giving you clues to the fact that they have you beat. The reason you are putting out small feeler bets is to save yourself large amounts of chips if you're hand is beat.

Multi-way action - Multi-way pots are typically the most difficult to play, and should be avoided in most situations whenever possible, especially if playing from out of position. Multi-way pots can be good to play in, however, with drawing hands or small to medium pocket pairs. The reason is that if you flop a monster with a disguised hand, you're more likely to get paid off as someone in the hand is likely to have a hand that is strong enough to call you with, even if it is 2nd best. If you were to flop a set with a small pair or a a flush or a straight with a suited connector, you'll have plenty of players in the hand who might have top-pair-top-kicker, 2 pair, or a draw that may be willing to pay you off even if you fire a huge bet.
If you do flop a draw in a multi-way pot, tricky plays aren't as likely to work. Stick to good pot odds to chase a draw. If the price isn't right, throw the hand away. You will find good pot odds often enough in multi-way pots to make it worth throwing away a few draws when the odds are against you.

Good luck on the felt!
Mrs. Sinner
Mrs. Sinner
Admin

Female Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2008-11-20

http://cardsinner.com

Back to top Go down

Post-Flop Play Empty Re: Post-Flop Play

Post  TheDude167 Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:49 pm

Where are you getting all of these articles?

TheDude167

Male Number of posts : 216
Job/hobbies : Playing Poker
Humor : NONE AT ALL!!!!!!!!
Registration date : 2008-11-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Sinner Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:03 am

I actually write most of them myself (part of the job description Very Happy ). They are based on several sources including my own experiences at the tables, input from my husband (who has been playing poker professionally for about 6 years now), other poker professionals I've met playing poker, etc.

I've been playing pro myself for about 2 years now. Though much of my knowledge comes form my own experiences, I did learn a lot about the game from reading tons of poker books and chatting often with other poker players every chance I get. Even to this day, I am always looking to improve my game. And while I can take credit for the writing, I cannot take all the credit for the knowledge therein. Great poker authors such as Gordon, Sklanksy, Brunson, Harrington, Duke, Caro, and so many other has contributed in large part to my success as a poker player, and the knowledge about the game that I have to share today.
Mrs. Sinner
Mrs. Sinner
Admin

Female Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2008-11-20

http://cardsinner.com

Back to top Go down

Post  umbe Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:31 pm

I think experience is the most valuable criterion on writing articles like these one. They are well written and easy to understand even for the beginner average player.
I am very pleased you have the time and of course the will to share your tips with rest of us. Highly appreciate it. cheers

In the future we may quote you as well as an established poker writer! cheers

umbe

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2009-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down